Training of local artisans & access of households to energy saving solutions, Kyrgyzstan
- CAMP Alatoo, an association based in Kyrgyzstan, specializing in education and training in the management of natural resources and more particularly energy issues
- Ametis (Association of craftsmen specializing in energy efficiency) located in Issyk Kul oblast and the Zhyluuluk Bashaty public foundation located in At Bashy Rayon, in Naryn oblast.
Context & intervention area
Energy poverty coupled with high vulnerability to climate change will have a significant impact on the livelihoods of rural communities. Energy poverty in the region is characterized by insufficient and unequal access to various energy sources and rural households depend on solid fuels (coal, biomass, wood) for heating and cooking. Access and use of electricity is limited due to limited or no equipment / infrastructure and insufficient resources to pay for its use. At the same time, energy losses are high due to energy-intensive buildings, infrastructure and devices.
Training and supporting artisans in energy efficiency for rural areas is therefore an opportunity to increase the standard of living of the local population through affordable energy saving products implemented locally.
Main objectives (2021-2023)
- Increase the capacity of local artisans to introduce efficient and affordable home energy saving solutions through training in the basics of service promotion as well as modern technologies for housing insulation in mountainous areas (20 trained craftsmen)
- Improve access to affordable home energy saving solutions for rural residents by relying on simplified financial mechanisms
- Evaluate household energy savings to demonstrate that the solutions implemented can maximize energy efficiency and reduce heating costs in residential buildings
Main expected results (2021 - 2023)
- Craftsmen are able to assess the specific conditions of houses in terms of insulation, to choose the most suitable domestic energy saving solutions; know how to calculate the quantities of construction materials, correctly carry out insulation work and promote one's activity.
- The working capital for the system of financing free interest loans for the benefit of local households is functional and is gradually being renewed.
- The reduction in energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions in the housing sector in Kyrgyzstan is assessed, quantified and communications are made to promote the most relevant solutions.